Saturday 3 September 2011

Surprises and a new beginning...........

The old lady was peering at the statue, she seemed delighted to have found an unexpected surprise in her garden and was chuckling to herself as she picked it up for a closer look. 'Well, well, indeed a most beautiful little chap - quite the most dashing gnome that I have ever seen.' She stroked the wood gently, 'such a beautiful finish and such intricate work, I almost need my magnifying glass to see some of the details - best put it back in it's place, well well, what a present - how lucky I am.' She peered around at her lovely garden, 'thank you whoever gave the garden such a special gift - I am most honoured and grateful.' the old lady carefully put the statue back in front of the laburnum and went to sit on her patio to have a little think.

Aunt Mildred and Hortensia looked at each other, they were resting in the cool under a late flowering purple clematis - ' what a success - but I think she knows it is from us - how could she?' Aunt Mildred shrugged her shoulders (she had on her green cape with the with the red collar to celebrate the big event, and knew from experience that a shrug was the most expressive and easiest gesture to make when wearing a cape), 'Thats why I wanted you to give the statue to her, she is very wise and for a human, most perceptive about things that most humans hardly ever think about. I have always thought that she knows about us and the work that we do in the garden - she loves it as much as we do.'

How right Aunt Mildred was, the old lady did indeed have her suspicions that she had helpers that made her garden a place of exceptional beauty and abundant flowers. Sometimes she even felt convinced that she had seen something out of the corner of her eye, of course she never gave away that she was aware of anything in case she frightened them away. Now she felt convinced that her suspicions were true, 'little helpers that's what they are - how wonderful, how amazing, perhaps if I talk out loud, they will hear.' So there she sat feeling a little foolish as she began to talk to her invisible friends about the garden and how grateful she was for their help 'Good thing no one can see me, they'll start saying I am losing the plot!' she thought.

Hortensia and Aunt Mildred sat and listened with amazement, Aunt Mildred was thrilled, Hortensia was thinking back at her dream and how true it had been - 'everytime I follow my heart amazing things start to happen - now at the very least someone human knows what a real gnome looks like!'.'

No comments:

Post a Comment